Tim Chadwick - Interview



This week we caught up with one of Ireland's hottest up and coming artists Tim Chadwick to chat about his new EP 'Timothy', his experience as a musician living through a pandemic and his go to songs for bad days. 





Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how you got into music?

Hey. I’m Tim. I’m from Dublin, Ireland. I started playing guitar when I was eleven and pretty much began writing my own songs straight away. I don’t think I knew they were songs, they were more stream of consciousness, as much as, they were never written down. It was only until I was 16/17 that I started journaling and jotting down lyrics. The rest is history. I began learning piano by ear at 17, which helped bring on my style of writing. I never imagined music being an actual career path. Music wasn’t even available to study in school. It always felt like a hobby until recently. 


Can you tell us about your latest EP ‘Timothy’ and what was the inspiration behind it?

Timothy came to life because of the pandemic. I had just gone through a breakup and I was forced to sit and look at myself for the first time in 5 years. Because all of life’s distractions were gone, I was made to do the hard work of relearning and rediscovering who I was. Timothy is the name on my birth certificate, it has nothing to do with stage names or music, it’s simply me. I wanted to return to that version of myself that knew himself completely and unapologetically. 


What has the reaction been like to the EP and what was it like to release it during a global pandemic especially an upcoming artist. How do you feel that it differs from your previous work such as the ‘Early Days’ EP?

Overwhelming. People seem to really connect to all the different emotional layers of it. Releasing during the pandemic is the only thing that grounded me. It kept me present, alert and busy. I think without this body of work, my mind would have greatly suffered. Early Days was my first attempt of artistic declaration, like most firsts are. The two EPs are similar in the fact that they are both me at a time where I believed that this was the best I could do. Timothy is the same. This is the best I can do, right now. The only difference I feel is in the sonics. I’ve found what sounds more like me now, 4 years on. 


Can you remember the first song you wrote and who are your biggest influences? 

I think the first song I ever fully wrote, start to finish, was a song called Stay Awhile. I was in a band in school and it was the first thing I brought to them. It.was.awful.
My biggest influence is Hayley Williams. I have looked to her for inspiration since early Paramore days, and I still continue to do so to this day. I admire her strength in vulnerability and softness. Her lyrics and view of the world’s beauty continue to stun me. 


What is the creation process like in the production of your music, where do your ideas mainly stem from and do you feel that your hometown has impacted the music you create?

My production chops aren’t where I wish they were, but I’m able to create a really rough sense of where I want the song to go and live. It’s Sean Behan who is the true talent when it comes to the production on Timothy. I brought 5 rough demos to him and he turned them into gold. The ideas normally come from an amalgamation of everything I’ve been listening to. But also, sometimes I’ve been able to turn feelings into sounds and that becomes something very exciting and only yours. I feel Dublin has just made me make music that I can call my own. As a nation of storytellers, I feel it's our job to share our own stories and not the ones we think people want to hear. 


What is your favourite musical memory and if you could invite 5 musicians dead or alive to dinner who would they be?

Playing a sold out show in Lost Lane. It was magic. 

Hayley Williams
Stevie Nicks
Prince
Whitney Houston
Enya


Who is your dream artist to collaborate with or support on tour and what is your favourite memory from being on tour?

….I mean. If you haven’t guessed by now. Hayley Williams. But I’ll spice it up a bit. I’d love to go on tour with the likes of Maggie Rogers or Haim. They’re just insanely cool and I think it would just be extremely feel-good. My favourite memory from a tour was when I played to literally no one in a car park in Newcastle. No one. Not a soul. It was actually such a laugh and gave me a much needed bruise to my ego. I’ve enjoyed shows so much more after that experience. 


What was the first album you ever bought?

Evanescence - Fallen 


What is your favourite track off the EP and Why?

This changes daily. But right now it’s Only Me. I just realised that it’s the only pure love song I’ve ever written and it's written for me. 


What message do you want your fans to take away with them when listening to the EP?

That loving and being comfortable with yourself is a journey. I leave it up in the air as to whether I achieved what I set out to, but I think that's the point. I wanted the EP to feel cyclical. To play with the idea that maybe we will fall in and out of love with ourselves for our whole lives. 


 What has been your go to song to distract yourself during hard times over lockdown?

Now I’m In It - Haim
La vita nuova - Christine and the Queens
Pure Love - Hayley Williams


 Have you been to any concerts before COVID that have inspired you in any way?

Every Paramore show inspired me. But also, my friend’s shows. I love seeing my friends giving it all on stage. It’s amazing watching people you love own their craft and art and for people to receive it so well. 


Is there any advice you would like to give to musicians starting out during these times?

I don’t know if I’m exactly qualified to do so, but I would say, don’t take the “nos” you get personally. It’s important that you aren’t constantly being told yes. 

Sometimes the nos build more character than the yeses. On the flip side, don’t be afraid to say no - there is so much power in the word no. Also, don’t make anything for anyone other than yourself. It’s your name, it’s your art and you own it.

 Lastly, there are times when things are going to just go wrong. Whether that’s at a show, on tour, on stage, off stage, in an interview. Things will go wrong and you have to just acknowledge them and move on.  


What talents have you developed over lockdown? Any banana bread baking? What have you been binge watching?

It’s definitely not a talent, but I’ve been skipping a lot as part of working out. I’m still terrible and tear the ankles off me at least 50 times a day. I’ve also perfected my soy and honey crispy deep fried tofu. *chef’s kiss*


What does the future have in store for Tim Chadwick? Any specific goals you’ll like to achieve?

The pandemic has taught me not to get my hopes up or plan too much. But I just hope that the EP and the work to follow reaches the right people. I hope it lands in the laps of people who need something like it. I’ve started writing the next EP so I look forward to having that out in the world. 



Thanks so much to Tim for chatting with us. We can't wait to catch him at a live show once they return! Make sure to check out his new EP 'Timothy' which is available on all major streaming services now.



Links to listen to the EP can be found below;

Spotify - Here

Apple Music - Here

Amazon Music - Here




MusicBox PR Team 

Comments

Popular Posts