Lux Alma Interview



Last year, we had the pleasure of chatting to Lux Alma who is an electro-folk solo act based in Ireland. She chatted to us about what it is like to be a creative in the music industry over lockdown, how watching Disney movies helps her deal with the current pandemic, how Dua Lipa would be a dream musician to go out for a meal with and her insights and advice to other fellow musicians. Check out the interview below! 




Tell us about yourself. 

I'm Alma Kelliher and I perform as Lux Alma, which is my electro-folk solo act.


What inspired you to start making music? 

I've been a composer for theatre and film for years and performed with folk group The Evertides since 2013. In both those settings, i was very much a collaborator, which i loved. And around 2016 I decided to see what it would be like to also write on my own. I was particularly inspired by Irish myths and legends so a lot of my first wave of songwriting centres around that. Initially i was going to be called The She - as in the Duine Sí, fairy people - but there's a band called The Shes so i decided on Lux Alma instead which is latin for the light that feeds you :) 


Can you remember the first time you wrote a song and what was it about? 

I wrote a reeeeally bad instrumental piano piece when i was around 8. It was mostly me hammering at the keys in C major. I guess not much has changed there!


 What is the first CD/Vinyl you ever bought? 

First vinyl was Autobahn by Kraftwerk which is decidedly cooler than my first CD which was Coming Home Now by Boyzone. ouch.



 Do you have any other hidden talents outside of music? 

Not sure it's hidden but I am a decent roller skater! 



What was the first song you learned on an instrument? 

I've been playing the organ since i was about 5 (couldn't reach the pedals at first so had to play standing up!). No idea what the first song was but i do remember nailing an Abba medley when i was around 9. It was exactly as bizarre as it sounds.



What is your favourite song to perform? 

I have a song called Lights Out which is about wandering home from a night out as the sun comes up, and that special moment when one of your group starts to sing. I performed it with my sister Tracey K and Wallis Bird, at Dublin Fringe festival and i could barely keep back the tears, it was so special. 



 What was your craziest experience on tour? 

Pretty much every moment of touring with a show called Riot by Thisispopbaby. It's a mad circus cabaret glitterfest for which i was the composer and also a performer. I basically ran away with the circus and toured the world. Learned to juggle, sailed around sydney harbour, learned A LOT from Panti Bliss when we shared a dressing room, had mad parties in hotel rooms in New York, danced on tables in Toronto... best time of my entire life and made life long friends. 



If you could invite 5 musicians dead or alive to dinner, who would they be? 

 ooooooooo. Janelle Monae, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Prince and (wild card) Dua Lipa. Maybe Prince would go roller skating with me after. 



Has your music evolved since you started making music? 

It really has. I mentioned earlier that the first wave of writing was centred around Irish Mythology. I'm so proud of that music as I feel like i really got my teeth into the characters in each song. And now i've moved away from the mythology scaffold and am writing about things in my life, or random things that inspire me, but with that same level of interrogation which has really stood to me. I'm learning to vividly step into a character's shoes and write from there. 



 Do you have a record label and are you a member of any music organisations? 

No record label, just me! I'm a member of IMRO, RAAP and the Irish Society for Stage and Screen Designers. 



If you could change anything about the music industry what would it be? 

 Gender balance needs to improve further, both in live performance and in radio play. It's getting better but too slowly. There's so many amazing Irish female acts that it shouldn't be a novelty to have them on the bill.



Have you been to any concerts pre-covid times that inspired you? 

Vulfpeck at the Olympia was one of the best gigs i've ever been to. Pure raw talent combined with pure raw joy. I didn't even know them before the gig and still loved every second. 



 How do you handle mistakes during a performance? 

I practice to the point of not worrying about mistakes so that if they happen i can be relaxed about it. If you go into a gig worrying about mistakes then you can't be present for the performance. And what is the point of gigging if not to be present and enjoy it?



 Who is your favourite Irish artist at the moment? 

Without a shadow of a doubt, Wallis Bird. She has such mastery of her instruments, whether guitar, voice, or a series of pedals, that she can fill a room like Vicar Street with just a strum, a holler and a stamp of her foot. How the hell does she do it?! And the energy she puts in to every song, my god. Ugh I'm at risk of a fan-girl essay now but she really does make me want to be a better performer and a better writer. It's particularly obvious at a time like this when she STILL sounds incredible on an instagram live vid with no frills and no fancy sound. She is pure talent and the nicest person you'll meet. 



If you could have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? 

I love when people come up to me and mention a lyric that meant something to them. It still floors me that something i scribbled in a cafe can end up in someone's heart.



 How are you dealing with the current impact of COVID19 as a musician? 

 By watching Disney movies.


What is your go to feel-good song to distract yourself from hard times?  

You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates



Is there any advice or insights you would like to give to anyone reading this who would either like to pursue a career as a musician or within the music industry? 

 Reach out to people and learn as much as you can! I know that I'd be nowhere without the advice and care of fellow musicians and am always happy to pay that forward. That's how you make connections and suddenly you have a community. It's magic!




Thanks so much to Lux Alma for giving up her time to chat to us! We are excited to see what the future has in store for you! 

Make sure you check her music out and give her a follow on social media through the links below:


Spotify - Here

Apple Music - Here

Amazon Music - Here

Instagram - Here

Twitter - Here

Facebook - Here

Alma's Website - Here



MusicBox PR Team 

Comments

Popular Posts