James Or Interview


We had the pleasure of chatting to one of our favorite Irish musicians about how he was dealing with being an independent artist in the middle of a pandemic, his current favourite Irish artist and his favourite memory from being on tour. Check it out below! 




Tell us who you are. 

 James Or. 


What inspired you to start making music? 

I've spent the majority of my time as a musician playing in bands because I really loved that setup. I sort of fell out of love with music for a few years in my early twenties, and when the time came to go back to it, it felt right to try something different; so I started writing and performing as a solo artist.



Can you remember the first time you wrote a song and what was it about? 

I can, although I wish I couldn't. The first song I remember writing was called 'Burning in a Barrel of Sweet Poison', because, write what you know yeah? I have no idea what it was about and that's a small mercy. 



What was the first CD/Vinyl you ever bought? 

 I used to buy so many CDs when I was younger so I can't remember what my first purchase was; but some highlights include 'Who Let the Dogs Out?', 'Teenage Dirtbag' and 'Complicated'. I'm very jealous of people who can point to a really cool first purchase because I certainly can't



Do you have any other hidden talents outside of music? 

I love cooking, but I wouldn't claim to be great at it; I just really get a buzz out of doing it. And I'm not bad at tennis. 



What was the first song you learnt on an instrument? 

Christ, this is another embarrassing one. It was 'I Tell me Ma'. 



What is your favourite song to perform? 

Of my own songs I think it's definitely Safe & Sound. My favourite cover to play is probably 'Winning Streak' by Glen Hansard. 



What was your craziest experience on tour?

Getting to sing Pogues songs with Shane McGowan, with no rehearsal, in a hotel car park in Kerry



If you could invite 5 musicians dead or alive to dinner, who would they be? 

Phil Lynott 
Freddie Mercury 
Guy Garvey
Glen Hansard
Scott Hutchinson


 
Has your music evolved since you started making music? 

I'd like to think so. I put a lot of it down to the opportunities I've had to work with some other incredible musicians and music professionals. I've learnt a lot from those encounters that has helped to shape me as a musician and as a person. 



Do you have a record label and are you a member of any music organisations? 

I'm an independent artist, but I can tell you how helpful it's been to be an IMRO member. If you haven't done it, do it now.



If you could change anything about the music industry what would it be? 

 I think a lot of musicians have to deal with aspects of their career (admin, promotion, finances) that don't feed directly into what they're meant to be doing, which is creating music and expressing themselves. It has to be done, but it takes up a lot of time and energy that could be directed toward creative output. If there was a way to change that across the board for fledgling musicians that aren't making a consistent wage from their craft yet, that'd be cool.



Have you been to any concerts Pre-Covid times that have inspired you? 

I saw Bear's Den in February in the Hammersmith Apollo. It was a homecoming show for them, and it was sold out. That was incredibly inspiring because it reminded me of all that can be done in a short space of time if you really devote yourself to it (which is no easy task in itself). 



How do you handle mistakes during a performance? 

I struggle with them sometimes, but I know the best thing to do is to stay in the moment and keep playing. The only person really judging small mistakes is you.



Who is your favourite Irish artist at the moment? 

Sara Ryan. Nothing I tell you about her will do her justice so listen to her album 'Breathe'. She's an incredible musician and such an insightful human being.



If you could have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? 

Great question. I suppose that I was always striving to be honest, and to deliver my music in a way that strengthens the connection between me, the listeners and the stories I'm trying to tell.



How are you dealing with the current impact of COVID19 as a musician/band?

I'm actually doing okay. I finished recording my album at the end of February so behind the scenes work on that is still moving forward. I'm also getting to write and plan a bit more which is nice. I made a deal with myself early on that if that changes, that's also okay. Noone has to cope with this in a certain way; we're all working without a net for a while. 



What is your go to feel-good song to distract yourself from hard times?

'Opening Up' from the Waitress soundtrack. Play the album straight through if you want to be really kind to yourself. 



Can we expect any new music from you soon? 

Definitely. My debut album 'All the Beds We've Been in' is in its mixing stage and the first single from that is out now! 



Is there any advice or insights you would like to give to anyone reading this who would either like to pursue a career as a musician or within the music industry? 

Go easy on yourself. Don't be cocky. Be nice to the people you meet on my your journey. Go easy on yourself. Always be learning. Take time off. Go easy on yourself.




Make sure to check out his music and give him a follow on social media through the following links;

Spotify - Here

Apple Music - Here

Instagram - Here

Twitter - Here

Facebook - Here



MusicBox PR Team 






Comments

Popular Posts