Louise Monaghan - Interview

 




During the course of the pandemic, we’ve been discovering lots of new artists and have been constructing interviews with them to help give them some exposure.

This weeks interview is all about Louise Monaghan, a fantastic female singer/songwriter from Kildare.

We caught up with Louise to discuss her career, influences and how she has been coping as an musician during the pandemic.


Tell us who you are? 

My name is Louise Monaghan and I’m a 21-year-old singer/songwriter from Kildare. I released my first single ‘Bound’ in late December and the support I got from everyone was amazing! It inspired me in all kinds of ways and I plan on releasing loads more in the near future!

What was the inspiration behind the formation of your band? 

To connect with others through shared experience, to hopefully make them feel like they’re not alone in what they’re dealing with or experiencing in life.

Can you remember the first time you wrote a song and what was it about? 

I was twelve years old and it was on GarageBand, it was probably about love even though I’d had no experience at that age. I loved pop and dreamed of being a pop star so I was replicating what I was hearing in all my favourite songs on FM104 😂

What is the first CD/Vinyl you ever bought? 

It was a Beyoncé CD I got for Christmas, I am Sasha fierce. I remember my best friend showed me her B’day album and we’d dance around her sitting room to it so I wanted one just like hers. 

Do you have any other hidden talents outside of music? 

I love photography and writing in general! I used to write short stories and poems as a young girl before I eventually started writing song lyrics.

What was the first song you learned on an instrument, if you play one?

It was probably twinkle twinkle little star in elementary piano when I was eight years old.

What is your favourite song to perform? 

‘Killing Me Softly’ by The Fugees is one that really suits my voice and allows me to get lost in! I love Jazz and wish there was more modern Jazz music being made these days!

What was your craziest experience on tour? 

I haven’t got that far yet though I’d love to tour some day!

If you could invite 5 musicians dead or alive to dinner, who would they be? 

Whitney Houston, Beyoncé, Jorja Smith, Freddie Mercury and Ariana Grande!

Has your music evolved since you started making music? 

Yes, I used to struggle with finding things to write about because of a lack of experience I would simply replicate what others were singing about but I’ve definitely learned that the best music comes from the soul and depicts true experiences! I’ve learned to pour my heart into my songs and although it’s incredibly scary having people hear your inner thoughts, thinking you could be helping someone get through difficult times by just letting them know they’re not alone is a beautiful thing!

Do you have a record label and are you a member of any music organisations? 

I use DistroKid to distribute my music across various platforms including YouTube and Spotify.

If you could change anything about the music industry what would it be? 

More diversity. 

Have you been to any concerts within the last year that have inspired you? 

Yes, I was at Ariana Grandes recent tour in September 2019 and seeing the skill and precision the whole crew had reminded me of just how much work and dedication go into these shows from the artists and his/her crew and it definitely motivated me to keep working!

How do you handle mistakes during a performance? 

I don’t let them get to me and I continue on as normal, after all a lot of the time they go unnoticed by the audience! 

Who is your favourite Irish artist at the moment? 

Dermott Kennedy. 

If you could have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? 

The emotion in my lyrics.

How are you dealing with the current impact of COVID19 as a musician/band? 

I am trying to work with what I have at home and write down my experiences and feelings to later put into songs.

What is your go to feel-good song to distract yourself from hard times? 

I have a few but at the minute it’s ‘Break My Heart’ by Dua Lipa!

Can we expect any new music from you soon? (If you have just released new music tell us a bit about that). 

I have a few songs in the works that I plan on recording in studio when the current situation improves but I have recently released ‘Changed’. It’s a feel-good, empowering song about letting go of negative thoughts and feelings that once consumed you, stepping out of your comfort zone and suddenly feeling like a newer, stronger and more confident version of yourself!

Is there any advice or insights you would like to give to anyone reading this who would either like to pursue a career as a musician or within the music industry? 


Go for it! You have nothing to lose and life is too short to wait for the perfect moment! You are good enough, no matter what you tell yourself, and you can do it! Believe in yourself!



To listen to Louise's latest single 'Changed' on Spotify click here

To check out Louise on Apple Music click here

To check out Louise on Instagram click here


We highly recommend checking out her music and giving her a follow

MusicBox PR Team 

Comments

Popular Posts