Lewis Kelly Interview


This week we have an interview with our favorite young musician from Manchester. Check out his answers below. 
Tell us who you are?
 
Lewis Kelly


What was the inspiration behind the formation of your band? 

I’ve been a huge fan of Ed Sheeran for as long as I can remember & it’s no secret that he was probably the first major inspiration towards what I do. That followed up with Gavin James and ever since then I’ve just kind of evolved into the sad boi that I am today- I’m actually very happy but music is sad boi ofc got to keep on brand.

Can you remember the first time you wrote a song and what was it about? 

The first time I wrote a song in general was after watching Camp Rock when I was really young, I can’t remember what it was about but my guess it was fucking awful. The first song I wrote on guitar was called Without A Trace & I’ve genuinely debated to bring it back a few times because it’s not half bad.

What is the first CD/Vinyl you ever bought? 

The first CD I ever bought was +. I used to steal all my dads old CD’s like Arctic Monkeys, & The Doors so this was probably the first time I ever actually listened to my own music & wanted to buy it.

Do you have any other hidden talents outside of music? 

I used to be really fucking good at football & I still fancy my chances to be called up to Southgates Euro squad.. & my FIFA gaming is extremely strong I would happily challenge any willing human.

What was the first song you learned on an instrument, if you play one?

The first song I learnt on guitar was Yesterday by The Beatles, an absolute classic.

What is your favourite song to perform? 

It always varies I’m going to be honest but at the minute it’s Not Quite What It Seems, it’ll be nice to actually be able to play it live to my girlfriend at a show soon.

What was your craziest experience on tour? 

Honestly either falling down a flight of stairs with my guitar and breaking it; or more recently, vandalising the Whelans dressing room wall with the Saint Sapphire lads- some strange things written on those walls I tell you.

If you could invite 5 musicians dead or alive to dinner, who would they be? 

Ed Sheeran, David Keenan, Lewis Capaldi, Nick Wilson, & Oscar Lang. Would have to be a fine Nando’s meal.

Has your music evolved since you started making music? 

I think this next project I’m putting out is probably the most experimental, evolving kind of vibe. I think skills wise & experience wise I have evolved but my style has always kind of been the same, but this next project we’re mixing it up.

Do you have a record label and are you a member of any music organisations? 

I’m a member of your typical PRS collection societies & that’s about it.

If you could change anything about the music industry what would it be? 

Equal opportunities for every artist regardless of gender or ethnicity etc, & to crack down harder on exploration in the industry dm higher executives & anybody in general.

Have you been to any concerts within the last year that have inspired you? 

There’s rarely a show that doesn’t inspire me to be completely honest with you. But recently I saw David Keenan and that man is an icon in my eyes, we were chatting to David in his dressing room before the show & I played him a song or two from my EP & it was just incredibly inspiring to hear what he had to say and I really admire the morals he has and the way he expresses himself, he’s a huge inspiration for sure.

How do you handle mistakes during a performance? 

I have the worst habit of pulling the most obvious face that I’ve messed up during a performance I really need to control that, but mainly just carry on and not stop.

Who is your favourite Irish artist at the moment? 

I know I’ve mentioned him already but, David Keenan of course.

If you could have your fans remember one thing about you, what would it be? 

That I charted above Ed Sheeran & Dermot Kennedy on iTunes, somehow pulled a top 5 spot with the EP, & to be honest I’ll never shut up about it, that was pretty big for me & it blew my mind. I also would want them to remember that my stage banter is class, my mums been to a few shows & she looks horrified that her son knows such words, sorry mum.


How are you dealing with the current impact of COVID19 as a musician/band? 

I just put out a new single and I think it’s class and it’s nice to release something at this time to kind of give people some “joy” if you will in this difficult time. I’m currently working on a new project with Isaac Kennedy & Ben Lane (Collosal Load Ben.) Were all really good mates but they’re incredible musicians & producers so we’re just regularly calling getting some ideas down and when we’re able to, we’ll resume work again. It’s very difficult to write at the minute in my opinion however, I don’t worry about it too much.

What is your go to feel-good song to distract yourself from hard times? 

Trash by Oscar Lang OR Young Blood by Saint Raymond.

Can we expect any new music from you soon?

New project should be coming soon. I don’t want to say too much about it yet but, it’s completely different to what is out at the moment from my own discography and I am so so so excited to see everything unfold.

Is there any advice or insights you would like to give to anyone reading this who would either like to pursue a career as a musician or within the music industry? 

Never give up, I know it’s extremely cliche to say but the hardest thing I had to learn is, not everyone wants to listen to your music or, not everyone is going to like what you do. The best thing you can really do is stay true to yourself and just be yourself; if you love what you’re doing then fuck everything else.




We can't recommend listening to his EP 'Unsent Letters enough! It's available to stream on all major streaming platforms.




Comments

Popular Posts